Saturday, November 5, 2011

Pirate Stew

Arrrrrr Matey, do ye be looking for something to eat that be different than ye normal dinner fare? Well shiver me timbers have I a recipe for you!

Pirate stew popped up on Facebook for me, and I will admit, I wanted to try it simply because of the name. The ingredients list looked interesting, so I decided to give it a try.

This seemed a little on the dry side to me for being a "stew". I added a whole can of organic tomato sauce instead of the amount it called for. It still didn't seem quite moist enough, but I left it as it was.

Overall, I liked this recipe. On the page I got this recipe from someone suggesting substituting the kidney beans with pintos and washing the rice, which would help turn it more stew like. Someone else suggested adding carrots, zuchinni, chicken instead of beef, turkey burger. It seems the sky is the limit to change this up into your own little piece of heaven. I hope you enjoy! It was super easy to make, and who doesn't love a good and easy crock pot recipe!

Fix-It and Forget-It

Weekly Recipe: Pirate Stew

You don’t need a treasure map to find the ingredients for Pirate Stew. Plus, the long grain rice, kidney beans, and chili powder offer a delicious variation from other stew recipes. (Click “See More” for the recipe.) And if you have to feed your entire crew, Pirate Stew is easy to double.
Pirate Stew

Fix-It and Forget-It Diabetic Cookbook, pg. 144

Makes 4-6 servings
Ideal slow cooker size: 4-quart

Ingredients:
¾ cup sliced onion
1 lb. ground beef
¼ cup uncooked, long grain rice
3 cups diced raw potatoes
1 cup diced celery
2 cups canned kidney beans, drained
½ tsp. salt
⅛ tsp. pepper
¼ tsp. chili powder
¼ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 cup tomato sauce
½ cup water

1. Brown onions and ground beef in skillet. Drain.
2. Layer ingredients in slow cooker in order given.
3. Cover. Cook on Low 6 hours, or until potatoes and rice are cooked.

Exchange List Values:
Starch 2.0, Vegetable 1.0, Meat, lean 2.0, Fat 0.5

Basic Nutritional Values:
Calories 310 (Calories from Fat 73), Total Fat 8 gm (Saturated Fat 3.0 gm, Polyunsat Fat 0.5 gm, Monounsat Fat 3.4 gm, Cholesterol 45 mg), Sodium 611 mg, Total Carbohydrate 38 gm, Dietary Fiber 7 gm, Sugars 6 gm, Protein 22 gm

Variation: Add a layer of 2 cups sliced carrots between potatoes and celery.

2 comments:

  1. I am attempting a variation. First off, because it was the cheapest beef in the store, I'm using prepared taco meat instead of ground beef. (I've also used stew meat in the past, go great effect.) Secondly, I have substituted one (and a bit) cup of cauliflower for one (and a bit) cup of the potatoes. I'm also adding the carrots (I always add the carrots).I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moment of truth. Just took my first bite. It was too hot to taste. Just a moment...

    Tastes good. It's not quite as overseasoned as I expected to be, given that the meat was seasoned when it was purchased. It adds just the right amount of seasoning, much of which goes into the rice, giving it a much more "mexican rice" like quality. Very good.

    A lot more liquid than usual, probably broth from the meat, or maybe from tne onions (I just used half an onion, rathe than measuring it out). I could probably have skipped the half cup of water.

    ReplyDelete