Monday, November 7, 2011

cranberry and honey pork roast

I was on the search for a recipe for pork roast. My only real requirement was it need to be a crock pot recipe. I was hoping for something different, but I wasn't overly picky.
After much searching, I finally started looking at a couple, and decided to mesh a couple into one that I hoped would be rather tasty. Here is the recipe.

pork roast. I usually get boneless, it cuts up easier, and not everyone in my family likes meat on the bone, so it's just easier to go with boneless, but.. I'm sure you could do it with a bone in roast.

dried cranberries (I suspect fresh cranberries would work as well). I used about 3/4 of a bag or so, which is roughly about 5 oz or around a cup-1 1/2 cups

honey (I prefer local honey just because of the benefits it has.) around 1/2c to 1 cup depending on how big your roast is.

about a teaspoon of ground nutmeg

about a teaspoon of salt

many of the recipes I looked at suggested trimming most of the fat off (which I started to do, and then I got frustrated with it haha, so I stopped). They also suggest browning the roast in a fry pan with a bit of olive oil. I didn't do this, but at some point I'd like to try it.

I placed the pork roast in the crock pot. I sprinkled the cranberries on top, then drizzled the honey over top. Then I sprinkled the nutmeg and salt over top. Turned the crockpot on high, and cooked for about 8 hours. I really prefer my roasts to fall apart, so you can adjust your time accordingly.

I didn't add any water, and when I pulled it out, there was a fair amount of liquid in the bottom of the crock pot, so it isn't needed. I suspect you can make a gravy out of it, but I don't do good gravies, so I didn't bother to try.
The flavor is a good mixture of sweet and tart, and makes a wonderful fall treat. I would think you could add some apples to this and it would be just as good or better too.

enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment