Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Artichoke and spinach dip

This summer I joined a CSA (Community Ag Association). I loved it, but I was getting veggies that I didn't have a clue what to do with. I learned much, and have found some new veggies that I like. One of those is artichokes. The biggest problem with artichokes was, I didn't even know where to begin. I was shocked upon the discover they are similar to a cactus. I searched high and low on the internet and found a blog that was very good at explaining how to clean them and keep them looking good.
http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/2006/05/how-to-trim-artichoke.html

I didn't have any actual lemon, so I did the best with what I had, and used a bowl of water with concentrated lemon juice. It browned a bit, but no where close to as bad as it did when I didn't use it.

I searched for a recipe (which for the life of me I cannot find) for something that I stood a chance of actually eating.
I THINK this is pretty close to the original recipe that I used.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/hot-artichoke-and-spinach-dip-ii/detail.aspx

I'm horrible about following recipes. Either I don't have all the ingredients, or I don't want to pay the money for the ingredients, or I want to make it healthier. This one was no different.

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup mayonnaise
garlic, (I wanted to use fresh, but I only had minced garlic as a spice..I probably used about 1/2 tsp.
several crumbled leaves; dried basil
salt to taste
artichoke hearts, drained and chopped I used all I had, which probably amounted to about a cup if I was lucky.
1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 bag shredded mozzarella cheese
1 or 2 dashes of dried red pepper

I threw it in a pot on the stove, heated it until the cheese was melty and gooey, and tossed it in a bowl and served it with tortilla chips. The kids loved it, my dad liked it and I was pleasantly pleased with it.

I'd have liked to have used other cheeses, but I simply didn't have any other kind in the house and forgot to buy any when I was out.

I will admit.. It was a LOT of work cleaning the artichokes for the little amount I got out of them ( I had to clean about 10 or so artichokes to get 1 c.. but mine were very small). I think canned artichoke hearts would be much easier, just not quite as healthy or give you that satisfaction that comes with making it completely from scratch.

No comments:

Post a Comment