Monday, May 17, 2010

homemade cheese

In my latest effort to get away from processed foods, I stumbled on a local group that puts organic farmers in touch with local consumers and I couldn't be happier. They are such a great group of people! They have so many ideas, and products. everything from fish emulsion fertilizer to goats milk and everything in between and beyond.

That being said, One of the ladies sells goats milk for 3 dollars a gallon. Cheaper than whole milk in the grocery store!! While I'm not sure I would want to drink it, the thing that intrigues me is cheese. I LOVE cheese, and cannot give it up, so I'm thinking this is a good alternative.
One of the ladies posted a recipe that I will share below. Another suggested the CHeese Queen website which I still need to check out.

this is from a person who made it:
Made Goat Cheese So easy and so good! In a boiler, bring 1/2 gallon of milk to 185 degree F. on medium temp. Remove from heat, add the juice from two lemons and stir while it curdles. Add 1 TBS of Sea salt. Pour mixture into cheese cloth and hang in refrigerator over night. I added a little Italian Seasoning to mine. Awesome on salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment