Sunday, December 25, 2011

Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce

We love going to dinner at The Irma in Cody, Wyoming. One of the highlights is their bread pudding with whiskey sauce. It's unlike anything I've ever had. It's intoxicating.. quite literally. Too much whiskey sauce will have you stumbling your way out of the restaurant... or at least it seems like it. I searched online high and low, and couldn't find a whiskey sauce that seemed like it would be even close. I chose Paula Deen's Bread Pudding recipe, simply because she is awesome, and she makes everything so wonderful, I figured even if it wasn't right, it would at least be really good! I omitted the pecans because the Irma's doesn't have them, but I'm sure they would be amazing in it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/the-best-bread-pudding-recipe/index.html

For the Whiskey Sauce, after studying several on the internet I went with my own version...partially because I simply didn't have any eggs, and partially because I didn't think they seemed quite right.

melt 1 stick of butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. while that is melting add approx. 1 teaspoon of Vanilla. Once it's melted add approximately 1 TBSP of honey (I always use local honey for the benefits it provides). add approximately 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Keep stirring. Add 1 cup of Whiskey. Finally add about 1/2 c -1 cup of brown sugar. stir frequently as it simmers. I simmered it for about 15 minutes.

Serve while still warm. You can also put some whipped cream on top of the individual serving of bread pudding. (ladle the whiskey sauce over the individual serving, or serve on the side in a small bowl). This has a kick!

Hope you enjoy!

pour a ladle or so of Whickey

1 comment:

  1. One thing I noticed with this. The whiskey sauce is only potent the first time it's heated, so if you like that kick, you will need to make it fresh each time you serve the bread pudding. If you don't like the kick, then the second heating will kill most of the punch it packs :)

    ReplyDelete